Skip to main content

Substitute Teachers

2023-2024 School Year

Welcome to the 2023-2024 school year with Huntington Beach City School District.  We hope you had a wonderful summer and are looking forward to returning to the excitement of the classroom.

HBCSD uses the absence reporting/substitute system called AESOP. Effective February 14, 2024 the new pay schedule for certificated substitutes is $175.00 for a full day; $200 per day for long term assignments (21 consecutive days; must be in the same classroom assignment); $23.87 per hour for hourly assignments over three hours; the minimum rate for three hours or less is $71.61. Additionally, for the 2023-24 school year only, a special daily rate of $250 was approved for all Fridays and Professional Development days listed in the table below. The special rate of pay will be effective as of 2/14/2024 for each of the dates following:

February 14th, 16th, 20th, 21st,  16th, 22nd, 23rd, 27th, 28th, 29th
March 1st, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 15th, 22nd, 26th, 27th, 28th and 29th
April 9th, 12th, 19th and 26th
May 3rd, 7th, 10th, 14th 17th, 24th and 31st
June 7th, 14th

*Professional Development dates are subject to change.


  • Credentials/permits should be renewed at least two months in advance of the expiration date. All renewals of credentials and/or permits must be completed online on the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing Website.
  • If there is a lapse in your credential/permit, Aesop will notify you, and you will be unable to substitute teach until we are notified by you that the credential/permit has been renewed and is visible on the CTC (Commission on Teacher Credentialing) website.  Additionally, the system will not allow you to accept or to be pre-arranged for an assignment beyond the date your credential expires.  Also, please keep our office informed of any changes in your status (i.e. name change, address, phone number) as they occur throughout the year.
  • It is imperative that you report to your assignment 30 minutes prior to the start time shown on the enclosed schedule.  (AESOP will state the time you are to report.)  You are to remain on campus until all students are dismissed unless you are on an hourly assignment.

How To Become A Substitute Teacher With HBCSD:

Candidates may apply for a substitute teaching position through edjoin. The following documents need to be submitted with the online application:

a) Valid California Teaching Credential OR an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit

If you do not possess a valid California Teaching Credential or Emergency 30-Day Permit you can apply for one at the Orange County Department of Education and will need the following documents listed on 2021-22 Certificated Substitute Requirements (page 2)

b) OCDE/Live Scan Clearinghouse receipt (yellow paper) – if you have misplaced your copy, please contact OCDE to obtain a duplicate. If you have ever worked for a public school in Orange County, you have already done this. If not, please contact OCDE to schedule an appointment to complete the Live Scan Request for Live Scan (41-LS)

c) Unofficial transcripts with Bachelor’s Degree Confer Date

d) Basic Skills Test Verification Basic Skills Requirement (CL-667)

  • CSET: Multiple Subjects Plus Writing Skills Examination
  • CSU Early Assessment Program or the CSU Placement Examinations
  • SAT or ACT – achieve the qualifying score
  • College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Examination
  • Basic Skills Examination from Another State

e) Resume

f) Two (2) Letters of Recommendation (within two years & signed)

g) Letter of Introduction

For additional questions, please contact Samantha Burbidge, | 714-378-2024