Skip to main content

Student Transfers

Intradistrict Transfers

The Huntington Beach City School District (HCBSD) is committed to providing a quality education for all district students. All Intradistrict and Interdistrict transfer requests will be approved or denied based on enrollment capacity and in accordance with relevant California education codes, board policies, and administrative regulations.  

What is an Intradistrict Transfer?

Intradistrict transfer requests are for students who live within the HBCSD school boundaries but would like to attend another school in the HCBSD boundary, other than their school of residence. 

HBCSD permits families to indicate a preference for the school which their child will attend, irrespective of the child's place of residence within the district. The District honors these requests if there is sufficient capacity at the school and grade level without displacing currently enrolled students. The district does give preference to siblings attending the same school (California Education Code Section 35160.5(b))

The District allows for intradistrict transfer requests annually during the Open Enrollment window. If there is not sufficient space to accept all requests submitted, the District will hold a lottery to determine student placement. Parents will be notified of the lottery outcome and then confirm open enrollment acceptance as applicable. Please see the Open Enrollment section for more information.

Interdistrict Transfers

An interdistrict transfer agreement is when parents/guardians wish to enroll their student(s) at a school other than the designated school in their attendance area outside of the district (California Education Code Section 46600). Interdistrict transfer agreements must be approved by both the student's original district of residence and the district to which the student seeks to transfer. Both districts must approve the agreement before it becomes valid. It is within the authority of either the home district or the receiving district to revoke an interdistrict transfer agreement at any time for any reason the local board or district superintendent deems appropriate. If a request for an interdistrict transfer agreement is denied, the student's parents/guardians may file an appeal to the Orange County Department of Education.

Please see the sections below for more information regarding outgoing and incoming interdistrict transfers. 

OUTGOING Interdistrict Transfers

Education Code - Student Transfer

Please click on the PDF below to access the outgoing interdistrict transfer form. This form should be completed by families that live within the HBCSD student boundary but wish to attend school in a different district. After completing all required sections, email the form and supporting documents to:  Please be aware that processing time may take up to two weeks from the submission date.

Please complete the transfer forms using a computer, as they are provided in a PDF fillable format to maintain proper formatting.

INCOMING Interdistrict Transfers

The HBCSD Board of Trustees updated Board Policy 5117 in January 2021 that directs all permits for interdistrict student attendance into HBCSD to be denied and that authorization of new permits cease, except for students of permanent HBCSD employees who have worked a minimum of six (6) months for the district as long as they continue to work for the district as a permanent employee. If a student's Interdistrict Transfer request is denied, families will be notified in writing of their right to appeal to the Orange County Department of Education. 

Families requesting an Interdistrict Transfer must request a transfer form from their district of residence first. HBCSD processes interdistrict transfers in the order received. 

Open Enrollment

Open enrollment is available only to residents within the school district.  

Open Enrollment for the 2024-25 school year is now closed. 

The Open Enrollment application window for the 2025-26 school year will begin on February 11, 2025 and end on February 21, 2025.  

This process is for NEW requests only. Students who have already completed an intradistrict transfer previously do not need to submit an additional request for the 2025-26 school year.

More information will be posted here prior to the start of the Open Enrollment window.

Contact Us

Sharon Doherty, Student Services Assistant
(714) 964-8888 ext. 2057 |